To Take Out the Curve

On my days in between classes I've been trying to get up and stretch as often as possible. Taking a second (or a minute) to find balance in a posture I've found clears my head and helps me refocus when I turn back to my computer. I'm just glad I work from home so that I can take these moments and not interrupt my coworkers. Perhaps one day all offices will have 10 minute yoga/meditation breaks every few hours. I equate it to nap time in preschool- its so rejuvenating.

One of my latest focusses have been on my hamstrings. I've always considered myself flexible until recently I've realized my hamstrings are nowhere near where I want them to be, and I'm going to have to work pretty hard to get them loosened up. I can feel that right where below where my hips begin is the where they start to weaken and that's where my back starts to want to bend.

Although I can easily place my hands flat on the floor and pull my feet up from any sitting forward fold, the ability to bend with a straight back is something I know will benefit me in so many postures. The focus is now to bend solely with a flat back to feel the stretch begin from the base of my spine and work downward instead of my legs upward. If that means I have to bend my knees (which I totally look down on for some reason!) then I will for the benefit of a full forward stretch.

Leave a Reply